Brake Shoe Replacement

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Brake Shoe Replacement

Postby suncitysolar on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

After 14K miles on my 2006 I decided to replace the brake shoes, front and rear. I ordered both sets from classicchcleparts.com, total cost $35. For the front wheel remove the front break cable by removing the adjusting nut and joint pin. Remove the speedometer cable bu using a screwdriver to press the tab in on the cable. I raised the front wheel off the ground with a stack of wood pieces and removed the front axle nut. Pull out the front axle and the wheel is off. The side collar and brake panel come off and you have access to the brakes. Pull the brake pads off the anchor pin and cam shaft. Put some grease on those pivot pints. Install the new shoes in the same position as the old ones. To make life easy I left 1 spring hook undone until I got the brakes on the anchor pin and camshaft. I used a needle nose pliers to make the last spring connection. Make sure it all looks like the original. Re-assemble the wheel just like it came apart. Adjust the brake freeplay.

The back wheel is about the same difficulty. Remove the muffler and rear inner plastic fender. To remove the rear axle nut I used a 22mm socket on an extension bar attached to a cheater bar. using a wheel chock and locking the rear brakes I was able to remove the nut. Loosen the brake and remove the wheel. Replace the brake pads just like the front wheel. Put a little grease on the axle spline and re-install the wheel; tighten with the cheater bar. Re-install the wheel cover and muffler and you are done.

It took me about 1 - 1/2 hours per wheel. Way cheaper than a dealer and I didn't have to do any transporting. :D
suncitysolar

Re: Brake Shoe Replacement

Postby suncitysolar on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:03 pm

That is classiccycleparts.com my bad.
suncitysolar

Re: Brake Shoe Replacement

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:04 am

Helpful guidance!
I think the one thing I’d never try as a DIY project might be replacing my brakes! Too much depends on safe brakes and service issues must be done perfectly. I’m no wrencher, so I’d leave it to the pro mechanics. I never bring my bike to a dealer, but there are a couple of bike shops I can use. My insurance includes “towing”, so transport for a disabled bike is not a big challenge.

I do admire your skills and competence to replace your brake shoes at low cost. And extra merit in providing good instructions here to help forum members get some know-how.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions