Honda Metro and Insurance

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda Metro and Insurance

Postby TheNinja on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 pm

I am weighing the options on a few scooters. Since this is my first scooter I am leaning heavily towards a Honda Metro. I am still a few months away from buying.

One question I wonder is does a 50cc scooter require insurance. If you guys and girls are insuring scooters of this size what coverage are you getting.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steven Bremer
Scooter-less...not for long
TheNinja

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:39 pm

In Michigan, insurance is not required for a moped (under 50cc). However, I have insurance anyway. I have it insured against theft, collision, and liability. I don't remember exactly what it cost, but it wasn't that much.
Paddy_Crow

Postby TheNinja on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks man. I was certainly going to get some insurance, especially theft.
Steven Bremer
Scooter-less...not for long
TheNinja

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Insurance requirements vary by state. In NYC you must have insurance for a 50cc bike or anything bigger than that. There is plenty of advice and insurance cost comparisons on this board if you try using the Search feature and select threads that come up to read and learn from. If you have specific questions that you can't get answers to via a Search, ask them.
Go to Google and find the page for your state's motor vehicle/motorcycle laws and you will soon enough know what the necessities are. Then shop online at some insurance carriers like Geico or Progressive to get some rate quotes and know what ballpark you're in. A scooter dealer also may know the laws. But that may be an iffy resource--they sometimes don't know and answer anything they think is true!
I did not cover my Honda Met for comp or collision. But I carry 100/300/50 plus some extra medical and UM insurance. It's liability that you must defend. Theft is a pretty fixed cost-you replace the thing for wht it costs to replace it Expensive but predictable cost. Liability for damage to property or life is a huge risk exposure, with possibly limitless lawsuit numbers. Put your premium money there. My premium for NYC scooter ownership and lots of liability coverage is $96/year.
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions