'04 Metropolitan Tire Inflation

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

'04 Metropolitan Tire Inflation

Postby encmetro on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 am

I am sure this has come up before. How do you inflate the tires on the Metropolitan? The small wheel and hub design do not allow for a standard tire inflater to fit inside the wheel and attach to the tire valve. So far, the only device that I have been able to fit on the valve is a bicycle tire inflater that uses c02 cartridges and has a very small profile. The cartrigdes, which are good for pumping up one tire cost $3.00! Also, I'm not sure if c02 should be used in scooter tires. Does anyone make an adapter to get a standard pump hose on the tire valve? The owners manual makes no mention of how to properly inflate the tires and deal with the wheels.
encmetro

Postby Bustin on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Kudos to you for payin' attention to tire pressure, lots of riders let that one slide , and it's actually very important.

The Met's valve stem setup is a pain. There is a 90 degree adapter out there somewhere, but I have been unable to find a source.

I've got a double chuck style inflator, and it squeezes in there OK , if you use the "inboard" side :

"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:52 pm

I posted this more than a year ago, but it may help you (you could do a search on "tire pressure" and get suggestions from other previous posts).

http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4608

You cannot buy from the merchant I provided in my link if you are not in the United States as they only ship to the continental US. Otherwise I highly recommentd the products and the merchant. It's been a terrific solution for the nuisance that Met tire pressure access is. I check my tire pressure and fill to correct pressure much more readily as it is so easy with this equipment. Worth the cost, and it makes Bustin happy to know I'm doing the job right. ;)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:58 pm

GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Bustin on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Ahhhhh .... its an RV kinda thing !! (smacks forehead)

Thanks, Gizmo !

Regarding tire pressure .... one of the things we like to do on "open house" days at our dealership is bring in a Rep. from one of the tire companies (Avon , Michelin , etc. ) , have them set up a booth and check tire pressures on customers bikes. Riders always think its's "fine" , but it very seldom is....usually way low. Very seldom do we check a bike that has adequate air pressure, and ironically, these tires are often warm , which should give higher readings.
This is the same customer that shows up carping about "premature wear" , and lays into us for selling him/her crappy tires that cupped after 5000 miles running at 18 lbs. of pressure.

So yeah , I like to see people payin' attention to their tire pressure. It's a safety issue , a performance issue, and a cost issue, all in one...and it has DIY written all over it. If we could channel HALF the effort that people put into debating which motor oil is best into checking tire pressures regularly , the collective riding world would benefit quite a bit.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Re: '04 Metropolitan Tire Inflation

Postby emilemon09 on Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Can anyone tell me what the appropriate tire pressure should be? I can't find the answer anywhere and my tires are looking a little flat!
emilemon09

Postby GizmoGal on Fri May 22, 2009 6:48 am

Honda Met official Service Manual:

Front tire (cold) pressure is correct at 18 psi
Rear tire (cold) pressure is correct at 28 psi
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby flugangst on Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 am

FYI, it's also listed on the sticker on the inside leg shield, in case you forget.

I use a bicycle tire pump with built-in 90 degree adapter to check and fill my tires. I think it was about $15 at Target.
flugangst

Postby undertheradar on Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

It's really not very hard...just bend the valve out to the side a little. :-<
undertheradar

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions